General Tso’s Chicken
WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 30 mins
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry, divided
- 1 large egg white
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups snow peas
- Step 1
- Combine 4 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 tablespoon each soy sauce and rice wine (or sherry) and egg white in a bowl. Add chicken and stir to coat.
- Step 2
- Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon each cornstarch, soy sauce and rice wine (or sherry), water, hoisin and rice vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Step 3
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok or large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add the chicken; cook without turning, breaking up stuck-together pieces, until golden on the bottom, 2 minutes. Stir; continue cooking until golden on all sides, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
- Step 4
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, scallions and garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add peas; cook, stirring often, until bright green, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the reserved sauce mixture; cook, stirring, until thick, about 1 minute. Return the chicken to the pan; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute more.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com