Baked Lemon Pudding Cake
- 2 tablespoons butter (no-fat or low-trans fat margarine can be substituted)
- 6 tablespoons sugar substitute
- 6 tablespoons super-fine granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 finely chopped lemon zest
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- canola cooking spray
- powdered sugar
- Step 1
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray.
- Step 2
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter or margarine well with an electric mixer. Add the sugar substitute and sugar and beat well.
- Step 3
- With an egg separator, separate the eggs; save the egg whites in another mixing bowl. Add the yolks to the butter mixture one by one; gradually add the lemon juice and lemon zest. The batter will look like lemon frosting at this point. Add the flour a little at a time. Slowly add the milk to make a thin batter. Set aside.
- Step 4
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they are stiff with an electric mixer. Gently fold the egg whites into the lemon mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pie plate.
- Step 5
- Place the pie plate into the preheated oven and bake 30 to 40 minutes. Remove the pie plate from the oven and allow the pudding cake to cool. Dust top with powdered sugar if desired and/or serve with fresh sliced strawberries