This soup is so very good and very easy. The last time I made it, I did the whole thing in less than an hour. The only thing I did differently was add chicken to the soup which was just great. So I thought I would pass it on to you.
CHILLY DAY SOUP
(Taken from "From Amish and Mennonite Kitchens"
by Phyllis Pellman Good and Rachel Thomas Pellman)
Makes 6-8 servings
1 large carrot
2 cups water
2 large onions
1 quart diced potatoes
2 tablespoons rice
1/3 cup macaroni
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
1. Chop carrot and cook in 2 cups water. While cooking chop onion.
2. When carrot is partially cooked, add onions, potatoes, rice, macaroni, salt and pepper. Add enough water to cover and cook until tender.
3. Add milk and butter and heat thoroughly.
1. Add 2 cups chicken broth in place of milk and butter.
2. Add 1 cup cooked meat to soup when milk is added.
Try it. I think you'll like it.