Asparagus with Poached Egg
A poached egg on a pile of tender steamed asparagus is a fine meal; a shaving of hard aged cheese, such as Parmesan, is an added treat -- and don't forget freshly ground pepper.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2009
- Yield Serves 4
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and peeled
- 4 large eggs
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, thinly shaved
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Tie asparagus into a bundle using kitchen twine. Place in the basket of an asparagus pot filled with 1 inch water. Cover, and bring water to a boil. Steam asparagus until tender, 2 to 6 minutes.
- Fill a large saucepan with 4 inches of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. When water is barely simmering, break 1 egg into a small heatproof bowl. Gently tip bowl, sliding egg carefully into water. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cook until whites are set but yolks are soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to paper towels, and drain briefly.
- Divide asparagus among 4 plates, and top each with an egg. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with Parmesan, and season with salt and pepper.