Saturday, October 3, 2015
PHYLLO AND SPINACH TARTS
The soft and creamy filling contrasts with the light crispy layers of phyllo pastry in this mouthwatering reipe for cheese and spinach tarts.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
1 tbsp sunflower oil
3 1/2 oz (100 g) baby spinach leaves, washed
4 oz (125 g) cream cheese
1 oz (25 g) Cheddar or Parmesan cheese, grated
1 medium egg, beaten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
16 x 5 in (12.5 cm) squares phyllo pastry
6 hole muffin pan
large mixing bowl
1. Preheat the oven to 350*F (180*C). Use a pastry brush to apply oil to 4 muffin-pan holes. Place the spinach on a cutting board and chop coarsely, using a sharp knife.
2. Place the cream cheese in a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Then beat in the grated cheese and egg until well combined. Season well, then stir in the spinach.
3. Brush one of the pastry squares with oil. Place another square over the top at an angle to make a star shape. Repeat with 2 more squares of pastry, brushing each with oil.
4. Gently press the layers of phyllo pastry into one of the holes of the muffin pan, then shape it to fit the hole. Repeat with the remaining pastry until you have 4 tarts.
5. Use a soup spoon to fill each crust with the spinach mixture. Press it down with the spoon. Bake for 25 minutes until the pastry has browned and the filling has set.
6. Remove the tarts from the oven and let them cool in the pan for a few minutes, then carefully remove them from the pan. Serve hot with salad or vegetables.