Tuesday, October 6, 2015
BBQ CHICKEN SKEWERS
These bite-sized skewers are a tasty option. Make double quantities of the sauce and use half for dipping if you like.
Prep time: 40 minutes plus marinating
Cook time: 15 minutes
12 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1 red and 1 yellow peppe seeded and cut into chunks
6 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
grated zest and juice of 1 lime
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
2 tbsp brown sugar
small wooden skewers (soaked in water for 30 minutes)
1. Place all the ingredients for the sauce in a small pan, bring to a boil, then simmer for 2 minutes, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Let cool.
2. Cut each chicken thigh into 2 to 3 pieces. Place the cooled sauce in a large bowl. Turn the cutting board over.
3. Add the chicken, stir to coat, then let marinate for about 30 minutes.
4. Thread 2 to 3 pieces of chicken onto wooden skewers with pieces of red and yellow bell pepper. Repeat until the chicken and peppers have been used up.
5. Line the bottom of a broiler pan with foil, then broil for 10-12 minutes, turning and brushing with the sauce, until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Tip: Remember to soak the wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent them from burning.