I like to slice vegetables such as a zucchini and eggplant lengthwise so that the pieces will be large. If I'm grilling the vegetables, this works especially well, since there's less chance of the pieces slipping through the grill rack. How embarrassing -- it's happened to me!
QUE SERA QUESADILLAS... WITH VEGETABLES
Makes 12 appetizer servings
Prep: 10 minutes
Broil: 10 minutes
Cook: 6 minutes
Non-stick vegetable oil cooking spray
2 cups sliced (1/4 inch thick) vegetables such as eggplant, bell peppers, zucchini, and yellow squash
6 fat free flour tortillas (about 8 inch)
2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzzarella cheese
1/2 cup bottled medium-hot salsa
1. Preheat broiler. Coat baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange vegetable slices in single layer in pan, placing peppers skin side up. Coat vegeables lightly with cooking spray.
2. Broil vegetables about 2 inches from heat for 10 minutes or until browned, turning all once, except peppers. Remove vegetables and let cool. Peel peppers.
3. Place 3 tortillas on flat surface. Divide vegetables over each. Top with cilantro, cheese, and salsa. Cover with remaining tortillas.
4. Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium high heat. Place quesadillas one at a time in skillet, and cook until lightly browned and cheese is melted, about 1 minute on eah side.
5. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Serve immediately.
NUTRIENT VALUE PER SERVING
4 g protein
2 g fat (17% fat)
14 g carbohydrate
234 mg sodium
5 mg cholesterol
Taken from Richard Simmons Farewell to Fat Cookbook (c) 1996