Tuesday, September 30, 2014

DR PEPPER CAKE

Do you like Dr Pepper?  Do you like chocolate?  Do you like cake?  Then this is the recipe for you.  I made it for Joe for his birthday one year and he loved it.  I mean LOVED it.  He is a big Dr Pepper fan, but he said you didn't even taste the Dr Pepper.  Just lots of luscious chocolate.  I really have to make this again real soon.

Since Joe is diabetic I used sugar-free cake mix and pudding, and diet Dr Pepper and it still turned out wonderful.



DR PEPPER CAKE


Cake:
1 box German Chocolate Cake mix (I sometimes use devil's food or whatever)
1 box instant vanilla pudding
2/3 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 can Dr Pepper

Frosting:
1  (8 oz) pkg cream cheese
1 stick butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
1 pound powdered sugar
1 cup pecans

Cake:
Combine first three ingredients, mix well. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add Dr Pepper, mix well. Pour batter into greased and floured pan. (I use a 9 X 13 inch pan)
Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes. Cool in pan before frosting.

Frosting:
Melt butter and beat together with first 5 ingredients until light and fluffy. Mix chopped pecans or you can sprinkle them on top.
  

Hint:  Since Joe and I are lactose-intolerant using a cream cheese frosting just wouldn't work for us so I got a can of sugar free chocolate icing.  So good.  Like a frosted brownie.

2 comments:

  1. That IS a good cake!!! I made it often for several years. I think I will make it for a family reunion I am going to on Saturday! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Linda, for the recipe. I couldn't remember who I got it from. Now I know.

      Delete