Chocolate Peanut Butter CupcakesYields 2 dozen
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 24 mini chocolate peanut butter cups
- 2 1/4 cups creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4-1/3 cup heavy cream, or to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350º F, line 24 cupcake tins with liners and place a mini chocolate peanut butter cup in each cupcake tin.
- Combine bittersweet chocolate and butter in a large, microwaveable bowl and microwave at 20-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. Place in fridge for 5 minutes to cool down.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl
- One at a time, beat eggs into slightly-cooled melted chocolate, then mix in vanilla extract and espresso granules.
- Alternate between adding flour mixture and buttermilk to the melted chocolate, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, and mix until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among the cupcake tins and place in oven.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean and tops are springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together peanut butter and butter until smooth and creamy, and mix in salt and vanilla extract.
- Alternate between adding powdered sugar and heavy cream and mix
until desired consistency is reached. Beat on high for 1 minute until
Note: add more heavy cream for a thinner frosting, less for a thicker frosting.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, frost with peanut butter frosting and enjoy!